Make it faster, handle better, lower it’s weight and increase it’s power. That was the mandate Suzuki gave to the 2003 Suzuki GSX-R engineers and they delivered. With an increase of 2 hp (up from 160hp), a 120 Nm of torque (up from 110 Nm) and 2 kg lower in weight of 168 kg / 370 lbs (from 170 kg / 374 lbs) hard data was only part of the story. By adding four ventilation holes between the cylinders to equalize crankcase pressure beneath the pistons, moving the air intake nearer to the centerline and upgrading the engine management system from a 16-bit to a 32-bit ECU additional horsepower and torque, better throttle response had been achieved.
The Suzuki GSX-R engineers also lowered the seat and overall height of the bike as well as redesigning the black frame to make it even more rigid. Not stopping there they worked on new brakes, dropping the 6-piston calipers style for new radially-mounted 4-piston calipers and new dics to save almost 1lb in weight to provide better stopping and turn-in performance.
New updates also included: A titanium exhaust system to save 1.32 lb (0.60 kg), the tail light was replaced with LEDs, new headlights were mounted vertically (to enable the ram-air intakes in the front to be placed 20 mm (0.79 in) nearer the bike’s center line) and the instruments were also redesigned.
– Sleek bodywork includes aerodynamic front fender, front cowl with vertical headlight, inner rear fender, tail section and fuel tank- all designed for optimum aerodynamics
– Compact instrument cluster features a step-motor-driven analog tach.with rpm indicator light and digital speedometer – also includes LCD odometer-tripmeters, coolant temp., clock and EFI diagnostics
– Bright LED-type taillight and compact turn signal design
– Black-painted aluminum frame is both lightweight and rigid – features adjustable swingarm pivot (kit parts required) plus durable sub-frame design
– Braced aluminum swingarm features extruded arms internally reinforced for strength
– Fully adjustable 43mm inverted forks feature Diamond Like Carbon (DLC) coated stanchion tubes to reduce friction and improve response – includes cross-mounted steering damper
– Fully adjustable piggy-back shock absorber with an aluminum body and temperature compensating system for more consistent damping performance
– Radially-mounted four-piston front brake calipers reduce flex for strong brake performance and permit use of lightweight 300mm rotors
– Opposed-dual-piston rear brake caliper with 220mm rotor
– Lightweight cast aluminum wheels and Bridgestone radial tires.
– Compact 988cc 4-stroke, 4-cylinder, liquid-cooled engine with gear-driven counterbalancer features with unique ventilation system to equalize lower-cylinder pressure and reduce mechanical loss
– Electronic fuel injection system features the Suzuki Dual Throttle Valve System (SDTV)- maintains optimum air velocity in the intake tract for smooth low-to-mid rpm throttle response and high torque output. Includes Auto Fast Idle System (AFIS).
– Tapered, double-barrel throttle body design is simple in design with minimal weight
32-bit ECM with 22-trigger pole rpm sensor, provides precise control of ignition timing and injector operation for each cylinder
– Pulsed-air injection system (PAIR) helps reduce emissions
– Internal oil passageways feed hydraulic cam chain tensioner, eliminating external oil lines to minimize weight
– Cylinder head features a narrow 25° included valve angle, creating a compact combustion chamber, high compression ratio and a straight intake tract for high power output
– Ram-air intake ducts are located at the point of highest dynamic air pressure for maximum ram air pressure, charging efficiency and torque output
– Durable SCEM-plated cylinders house new lightweight forged pistons with low-tension rings to reduce friction
– Suzuki Exhaust Tuning System (SET) regulates exhaust back pressure in the exhaust system to suit running conditions and maintain optimum engine torque
– Titanium 4-into-2-into-1 exhaust system features larger-volume muffler to improve flow and power without increasing noise level
– Large radiator and high-capacity oil cooler provide maximum cooling efficiency
– Six-speed transmission with high-capacity 19-plate clutch
Specifications Suzuki GSX-R 1000 2003 Colours
Pearl Suzuki Deep Blue No.2 / Glass Splash White (LR5)
Metallic Sonic Silver (YDB)
Candy Burning Copper / Solid Black (LR8) Dimensions and curb weight
Overall length: 2,070 mm.
Overall width: 715 mm.
Overall height: 1,145 mm.
Wheelbase: 1,410 mm.
Ground clearance: 130 mm.
Seat height: 820 mm.
Empty weight: 168 Kg. Engine
Engine Type: 4 stroke, liquid cooled, DOHC.
Number of cylinders: 4 cylinders.
Caliber: 73 mm.
Stroke: 59 mm.
Displacement: 988 cc.
Compression ratio: 12.0: 1.
Fuel System: Fuel delivery method.
Air filter: Paper element.
Starter system: Electric.
Lubrication system: Wet collector.
Idle speed: 1150 ± 100rpm Drivetrain
Clutch: Wet, multiplate oil.
Transmission: 6-speed constant Gear.
Gearshift pattern: 1 reduction, 5 increase.
Primary reduction ratio: 1.553 (73/47)
First: 2,687 (43/16)
2nd: 2.052 (39/19)
3rd: 1.681 (37/22)
4th: 1.450 (29/20)
5th: 1.304 (30/23)
High: 1,208 (29/24)
Final reduction ratio: 2.470 (42/17)
Drive chain: DID 530, 110 links. Chassis
Front suspension: Inverted telescopic, coil springs, adjustable preload, damping oil.
Rear suspension: articulated type, coil spring, oil damped, adjustable preload fully adjustable shock compression and rebound.
Carrera Front fork: 120 mm.
Rear wheel travel: 130 mm.
Steering angle: 27º
Tilt the front axle: 23.5
Filmed: 91 mm.
Turning radius 3.4 m.
Front brake: radial anchor, double disc 300 mm, 4-piston caliper.
Rear Brake: Caliper one piston, 220 mm disc.
Front Tire Size: 120/70 ZR 17 M / C (58 W), tubeless.
Rear Tire Size: 190/50 ZR 17 M / C (73 W), tubeless. Electrical Equipment
Ignition Type: Electronic ignition (Transistorized).
Ignition timing: 8 BTDC at 1150 rpm
Spark plug: NGK or DENSO CR9E U27ESR-N
Battery: 12 V 36.0 kC (10 Ah) / 10 HR
Generator: Three-phase AC generator
Main fuse: 30A
Fuse: 15/15/15/15/10/10 A
Headlight: 12 V 55 W (H7) + 12 V 60/55 W (H4)
Flashing light 12 V 18 W
Number plate light 12 V 5 W
Brake / rear: LED
Light: 12 V 5 W
Speedometer light: LED
Counter Light: LED
Neutral indicator light: LED
Indicator light beam: LED
Indicator light turn signal: LED
Indicator light fuel level: LED
Light oil pressure warning: LED
Rpm indicator light output: LED Capabilities
Fuel tank, including reserve: 18 l.
oil change: 3,000 ml.
with filter change: 3.300 ml.
Repair: 3,600 ml.
Refrigerant: 2,400 ml.
Front Fork oil 509 ml. Picture Gallery Suzuki GSX-R 1000 2003